September 19, 2019
Dear GHNATS Colleagues,
Enclosed is the information you will need to enter students in the 2019 Greater Houston NATS Music Theater Auditions. Auditions will be held on Saturday, November 16, 2019, at Lone Star College-Montgomery (3200 College Park Drive, Conroe, TX 77384).
Repertoire requirements and the allotted time for each category follow the national guidelines: NSA Revised Categories 2019
The newly updated complete guidelines, including video explanations and templates for judging forms, are available at: NATS Student Auditions Resource Page
Online registration will open Saturday, September 21, 2019, and the deadline for entries will be 2:00pm on Tuesday, October 22, 2019. There will be no exceptions to the deadline, so please plan ahead and complete your entries online. Registration is only available through the NATS website: NATS. NATS has standardized the registration process throughout our organization, which has created many changes (and advantages) to years past.
There will be a judges’ meeting beginning at 8:00 a.m. on the day of auditions. All teachers entering students in the auditions must be present at the meeting and must be available to judge the preliminary auditions. It is important for each teacher to read all of the following information carefully before registering students for the Music Theater Auditions.
Make sure your NATS membership is in good standing (dues paid) and that you have selected Greater Houston as your local chapter. It takes 24-48 hours to process dues so plan ahead.
Important points to remember:
- No accompanist may play for more than ten students. This is very important to facilitate scheduling.
- Singers should bring three repertoire adjudication sheets for the judges when they audition. Teachers are responsible for ensuring the accuracy of all information. Adjudication sheets can be printed upon completion of registration via the www.nats.org website.
- Once registered, there are no refunds for students or teachers who are unable to participate.
- Categories that have three or fewer entrants will be combined with another comparable group.
- It is important that teachers include current phone and email contact information for all accompanists listed.
- Accompanists must play from original music. (See NATS Copyright Laws Policy for more).
Please read and print the registration instructions that NATS has provided to its members: Accessing the NATS Auditions Registration System
2019 Registration Fees:
- $20 per member registration fee (fee includes one boxed lunch)
- $22 per student registration fee
- $12 additional boxed lunch fee
Responding to members’ needs and desires to become more inclusive of ALL singers regardless of gender, the NATS Board voted to make the following changes to the NSA regulations:
- Audition Category Names have been changed:
- Odd-numbered categories (formerly titled “Women”) are changed to “Treble” to include students singing Soprano, Mezzo, Alto, or Countertenor.
- Even-numbered categories (formerly titled “Men”) are changed to “TBB” to include students singing Tenor, Baritone, and Bass.
- Improvements to the NATS Audition Rubrics:
- Change of scoring descriptors from “Lowest,” “Average,” and “Best” to “Developing,” “Advancing,” and “Accomplished.”
- Expanded definitions of “Mix” and “Belt” on the Music Theater Rubric
- Teachers now have access to a Fillable PDF student-information sheet that they can send to all of their students to complete and return, so that teachers have all of the information they will need prior to completing the students’ registrations.
- The use of iPads and tablets as musical scores for collaborative pianists during all levels of NATS auditions has been approved and are held to the same standard as any other musical score used for auditions.
Teachers, pianists, and students will now verify their music abides by copyright laws when they register. NATS members, singers, and pianists will need to affirm that they will only use legal copies of music during NATS events as part of the registration process. Entrants will not be able to compete until they and their pianist complete this copyright acknowledgment.
As you register, please review the updated NATS copyright laws to which we must adhere: NATS Copyright FAQs
Please remember to review the new music theater categories and all repertoire requirements. Make sure you properly select the GHNATS Fall 2019 Music Theater Auditions when registering your students (since Texoma Region Auditions are also open for registration).
If you have any questions, please contact us by phone or email as we are the first point of contact. Do not contact NATS or Auditionware if you have any issues. Contact us first so we can resolve the issue directly. We are happy to assist!
Donna Hinds Sawyers
Music Theater Auditions chair
Classical Auditions chair