GHNATS Classical Auditions 2021
March 20-27, 2021
- February 12, 2021 – Audition registration opens
- March 12, 2021 – Audition registration closes, 11:59 pm (video links must be included in the registration)
- March 20-22, 2021 – Preliminary round judging
- March 24-26, 2021 – Finals round judging (guest adjudicators)
- March 27, 2021 – Business meeting, Guest Clinician, and Winners announced
- 1:30-2:00 pm Chapter Meeting*
- 2:00-3:00 pm Dr. James Rodriguez Diversifying Studio Repertoire Assignments*
- 3:00 pm Announcement of Winners*
*These events will be streamed in real time.
Registration is completed through https://www.nats.org/. Registration fees will be paid online at the time of registration through the nats.org website.
Every teacher must indicate on the website that he/she has read and is in compliance with the NATS policy on copyright law.
Greater Houston Student Auditions Information
- National and Local Chapter dues must be paid in full on the www.nats.org website before you can register your students.
- All teachers who register students are required to adjudicate for the Student Auditions.
Remember that if you enter students in the auditions, you must be available for judging assignments. If you fail to complete your judging assignments for the auditions, your students will be ineligible for competition.
- Fee Schedule
Student Audition Fee
Teacher Registration Fee
- Registration will be done through the www.nats.org website. See further details on pages 2-4 of this document. Auditions registration will be processed through the national website when you register students.
- Accompanists must play from the original score, from sheet music that has been purchased and downloaded, or from an approved public domain website. iPads are now acceptable. It is the individual teacher’s responsibility to make certain his/her/their students are in full compliance with the copyright laws of the United States. See the “NATS Policy on Copyright Laws” for more information. The chapter highly encourages students to utilize accompaniment recordings from the originally scheduled pianists. In the event that a pianist is unavailable, the students may use pre-recorded tracks found on Appcompanist, Hal Leonard’s Virtual Library, or other similar sources that offer piano-only accompaniments. YouTube Karaoke Tracks are also acceptable, as long as they are piano only. NO orchestrated tracks or tracks with other instruments or voices will be acceptable and would result in disqualification. More information is found under the ‘Accompanists and Copyright’ section. Please note that this will not be an accepted precedent for future auditions but is rather an isolated exception necessitated by a highly unusual global crisis. Because of this, videos will not be required to show the pianist. All other guidelines outlined in the video submission guidelines at NSA – YouTube Round Video Submissions will apply and must be followed.
- Teachers must complete the registration process for the Greater Houston Student Auditions. Students are not permitted to register themselves.
Registration Instructions for the Greater Houston Student Auditions
- Confirm that you have paid your National dues through the www.NATS.org website.
- Gather your students’ information. You will need to know:
- Student’s full name
- Student’s age (as of March 12, 2021)
- Student’s birthday (including year)
- Student’s phone and email address
- Number of semesters of voice study
- Audition Category
- Accompanist Name (if possible)
- Name of previous teacher if the student has studied with you for less than 8 months
- Review the Repertoire Requirements and gather your students’ audition repertoire information. For each piece, you must enter:
- Title (include name of larger work if from one)
- Song Type (Art Song, Aria, Spiritual, etc.)
Accessing the NATS Auditions Registration System
The NATS Auditions Registration system is designed in partnership with Auditionware and its creator, Brad Mills. It is designed to facilitate the entire auditions process from registration and payment to scheduling, assigning judges, reporting scores, and advancing eligible singers to the national rounds of the NATS National Student Auditions. Below is an instruction sheet on how to access the system. Once you get into the actual registration part of the system there are a series of questions asked in order to help you register all of your students, register yourself, and pay for your registrations. With the new system, payment is by credit or debit card only. The elimination of payment by check is important for timely registration and scheduling of all auditions and confirmation that payments have been completed in this manner simplifies this for all audition’s chairs.
STEP 1 Go to http://www.nats.org/ and log in. Your username is the email address you have on file with NATS. Your password is unique to you. If you do not remember it simply click on ‘forgot login/password’ and you can reset your password. IMPORTANT FOR PREVIOUS USERS OF AUDITIONWARE: If you have used Auditionware before and want to have access to your registration info from past years, you MUST have the same email address you used for Auditionware last year as your username at www.nats.org. You can change this yourself by logging in to www.nats.org with your current username, on the member home screen click on MY PROFILE on the left menu, then Click the box titled UPDATE PROFILE. Change your email address in the appropriate field. Scroll down and click on submit. This will make sure your data form last year will be accessible. NOTE: It may take up to 24 hours for your new username to sync with the Auditionware system.
STEP 2 Once you log into nats.org, the website should take you to your member home page. IF not, then click on “MEMBER HOME” in the top black bar. On this page, you will find a GREEN button titled “NATS AUDITION REGISTRATION.” Click on that link.
STEP 3 You will be transported to the Auditionware system for registration. Signing into http://www.nats.org/ authenticates that you are an active member and eligible to register students based on the chapter membership(s) you have and region where you reside. If you are not transported to a screen to start your registration, then there may be several reasons. Troubleshooting for Step 3: Contact your auditions coordinator first. They have access to check your permissions in the system should there be an issue and can direct you to others as needed. They also are in regular contact with Auditionware. If there is an issue that requires you to reinstate membership or pay dues, then your access should be updated within 24 hours. The systems sync every night. If you recently moved and have not updated your profile, you could be assigned to the wrong region so make sure you update your profile before registration.
STEP 4 Successful transfer to the Auditionware site takes you to a landing page where you can begin registration. Normally only one of your auditions will be activated at any time. Only those auditions with active audition periods will be accessible. BEFORE YOU BEGIN ENTERING STUDENT REGISTRATIONS: Make sure you have the following info for each student: 1. First Name 2. Last Name 3. Phone Number 4. Email 5. Birth Date 6. Audition Category 7. Pianist Name. After entering info for a student, review the data for accuracy and check the box at the bottom to confirm accuracy and click SAVE. At this point, you may ADD ANOTHER CATEGORY for your student (if your audition allows multiple entries by one student). If not, you may ADD ANOTHER STUDENT and repeat the process until all students are entered. When finished entering all students click on the “GREEN” COMPLETE REGISTRATION button. Depending on other activities at your audition, there will be various other options for you to choose (meals, ticketed events, judging preferences, attendance options, teacher registration fees, etc.) Follow the menu to register for these events. Once complete review your summary of fees and then click the GO TO PAYMENT PAGE button.
STEP 5 You are now transported back to http://www.nats.org/ for completion of payment. A detailed list of your registration costs should appear, and you can follow the steps to enter your credit card/debit card for payment. For security purposes NATS does not store or retain any card info in this system so you will have to enter your card information each time you make a payment. IMPORTANT: DO NOT EXIT THE PAYMENT SYSTEM UNTIL YOU SEE THE SCREEN THAT SHOWS YOUR RECEIPT. If you leave prior to that and go to another page, then you may disrupt the completion of the payment.
STEP 6 Once your payment is complete you will receive a confirmation email that your payment was received. In addition, a detailed receipt of your payment will always be located in your profile at http://www.nats.org/. To find your history of all payments log in to nats.org, go to MEMBER HOME, click on MY PROFILE and then click on the box ACCOUNT STATEMENT and all of your receipts for payments to NATS will be available for your reference.
Questions? For questions regarding online registration, please contact:
*SPELLING OF SCHOOLS
It is very important that when you register online you use the spellings and capitalizations for your schools found on the Texoma NATS Registration page. The computer program will be able to sort out which teachers are from which school and prevent teachers judging their own students only if we use consistent spelling and capitalization. Be especially careful of any periods, dashes and apostrophes (or lack thereof). Please adjust your university/college name in accordance with the spellings (very important if you have used the program before with another chapter/region). All students will need to have these exact spellings as well.
If you have an independent studio, please list your Teaching Location/Studio Name as “Your Full Name Independent Studio” – e.g. John Doe Independent Studio.
Online video auditions are being held in lieu of in-person auditions due to the COVID-19 pandemic. This is unchartered territory, but we will do our very best to ensure a worthwhile experience. The Audition Coordinators will do their best to combine like categories when necessary due to enrollment. We appreciate your patience and understanding as we navigate this migration to a new format. Thank you!